School and Public Talks

Very engaging and well resourced, I would thoroughly recommend these talks for budding scientists everywhere

 Parliament Hill School

The amount of questions asked by the students at the end showed how thought provoking a presentation it was!

Walthamstow Academy

The kids were really engaged with your talk – they were talking about it all afternoon!

 Burnt Mill Academy


Primary

“Colin engaged the children from the offset with his mind blowing facts and fantastic visuals. It was a great opportunity to learn exactly how space affects Earth. He pitched the content perfectly. His workshop inspired us all to become space experts!’

Dan Cadman, Class teacher, Ashley School

wsmtm

Kids’ books about space are often full of amazing facts and wonderful pictures, but few, if any, tell the readers why space is important or why it matters to them. So in this talk, based on my book Why Space Matters to Me, we explore the ways space affects the everyday lives of children, from telling the time to the food we eat. 30 minute talk + plenty of time for Q&A on anything to do with space.


Secondary, Sixth Form and Public

The Big Questions in Science

bigquestionsThe following five talks are based around chapters from my book – The Big Questions in Science – and explore some of the most popular questions in astronomy and physics, detailing the latest findings that are changing the way scientists think about our universe. Talks normally last around 40 minutes follow by a Q&A session (designed to fit into a 50 minute lesson). Talks can be repeated multiple times in one day for several groups.

Teachers: click here to see a version that relates each talk to key curriculum topics.

I also offer Skype Q&A sessions through www.skypeanastronomer.com

What is the universe made of?

Only 5 per cent of the universe is made of atoms – the stuff of people, planets and stars. That leaves 95 per cent unaccounted for. The rest is thought to comprise dark matter, which binds galaxies together, and dark energy, which is driving the expansion of the universe. This talk looks at why astronomers believe in these shadowy entities and their quest to decipher their mysteries.

Are we alone in the universe?

Perhaps the ultimate question is whether Earth has the only life forms in the universe. Extraterrestrials have so far proven elusive, but potentially habitable planets beyond the Solar System are beginning to be discovered and robots continue to trawl the Martian surface for evidence of life. Are aliens out there? We’ll look at the chances.

Are there other universes?

Parallel universes are the stuff of science fiction. Or are they? If the multiverse theory is correct, then there could be an infinite number of other yous living out an existence in universes completely separate from our own. Some scientists even believe they have observed the effects of other universes upon our own. Also a look at the idea of the infamous Schrodinger’s cat and its bearing on the chances of parallel worlds.

What’s at the bottom of a black hole?

A black hole is perhaps the most exotic object in the universe – an entity that can weigh the same as thousands, or millions, of suns packed into a space that could be the size of a small city. To describe what happens at the bottom of such a bizarre natural phenomenon requires the as yet elusive combination of two of physics’ greatest theories – quantum mechanics and general relativity. How might scientists achieve that?

Is time travel possible?

You can move through the three dimensions of space in any way you like. But we’re normally restricted to moving one way through time – forwards, at the steady rate of one second per second. However, there is nothing in the laws of physics that forbids time travel. In fact, we’ll meet a man who has done it and lived to tell the tale.

13 Journeys Through Space and Time

13j

A fascinating journey through 13 of the famous Christmas Lectures from the Royal Institution based on my book. With lecturers including James Jeans, Carl Sagan & Monica Grady, you’ll hear behind the scenes secrets and stories of the treasures I found hidden in the archives. We’ll also see just how much our understanding of the universe has evolved over the last century and bit.

45-60 minute talk depending on your needs. Signed copies of the book available for sale afterwards.

 

If you’re interested in booking me to give a talk then please get in touch to discuss your needs and receive a quote for the fee.